Let’s chat about birthday lessons today. Lessons that I’ve learned throughout the years and now I’m sharing it here.
It’s my birthday! Yay! 32 years old now. It’s been a long, hard, year. Actually, if we’re being honest, it’s been long hard several years. But, I’m grateful. I’m grateful that I’ve had these 32 years. I’m grateful for the lessons they’ve taught me and grateful for every struggle I’ve faced, as it made me who I am today.
So let’s dive into these life lessons that I’ve experienced and reflect on them. (I’m a big fan of reflecting.)
32 Lessons In 32 Years – A list of birthday lessons you need to read
- Always stay genuine to yourself. It’s you that you have to live with for your entire life. You need to know you can count on yourself and trust yourself.
- Store a spare $20 bill in your wallet. You never know what kind of situation you’ll find yourself in where $20 can help get you out.
- Love yourself. But truly. Take time every single day to look in the mirror and spend time being gentle and kind to yourself. Even on the days, you feel unworthy and lost. Always, always love yourself.
- Just start. That goal that you’ve been thinking about for a while? The blog you’ve always wanted to start? The leap you’re always dreaming of taking? Just do it. Honestly, I’ve learned, that the worst thing almost never happens. The worst thing possible. (Thanks anxiety for always making me prepare for worst-case scenarios.)
- Find your own flow and rhythm. Walk to the beat of your own drum. Don’t try to squish yourself to fit into someone else’s version of you.
- Dream big. There isn’t anything different between you and the one living the life you dream of. Work hard and dream massive.
- Always pay your rent. Other bills, maybe you have to borrow or scrape by, but rent… pay it.
- Therapy is worth paying for.
- You’re never too old to celebrate and have fun.
- Another birthday lesson is to set goals. Work towards something. Always be going forward. Even if it’s just tiny baby steps. Just go forward.
- Laugh everyday. Do something every day that brings you joy. Something that lights your face up and sets your spirit on fire. If you don’t have something like that then…
- Find something that sets your soul on fire. Whether it’s reading, writing, coloring, creating, whatever it is, don’t stop looking for it. Living life without passion is dull.
- Drink water. Lots of it. It’s so crazy good for you.
- Practice self-care every single day. There isn’t anything more important than caring for YOU. You’re awesome. You matter. And taking care of yourself needs to be a priority.
- If you’re a woman – schedule your pap test. Don’t miss it.
- Wash your makeup off before you go to bed every night. I know it’s hard. But it makes a huge difference in your skin. And waking up with a fresh, clean face is awesome.
- Always celebrate your birthday. It’s such a celebratory day. I don’t know why we don’t celebrate ourselves more to be honest! Celebrate your birthday each year in a way that feels good for you.
- Cut yourself some slack. Life is HARD af. Just keep going.
- Don’t get caught up in the comparison game.
- Spend time with yourself in front of a mirror. Get comfortable with yourself without make-up or IG filters.
- Read. Always keep reading. It’s so good for your brain. Find things you enjoy reading so it’s not a chore.
- Invest in quality hair care. Having unruly hair that’s difficult to tame is not a great way to begin the day. Spend the extra few dollars to have easy hair.
- Just try. Curious about something? Try it. Want to cook a new meal? Try it. Don’t ever stop trying things. Keep exploring and keep growing.
- Every time you say yes to something, you’re saying no to something else. Choose your yes and no carefully.
- Believe in yourself. Always, Don’t waver. You are worthy of everything.
- Prioritize your health. All of your health though. The big picture. Mental, physical, spiritual, emotional, everything.
- Be focused. Focused on what you want. Focused on your life. Focused on your goals. Focused on you.
- Experience things. Go to new places, see new things, meet new people. Create connection.
- Live for today. Sure retirement is nice to plan for, but honestly, live today. Be happy today. Do the things that you need to do to secure your life today. If there are leftovers then great, retirement is great, but first, it’s now. Be in the now.
- No is an answer. Always. There doesn’t need to be a because. This is a birthday lesson that changed things for me. Answering just NO, without a because can feel empowering.
- If you’re anything like me… don’t buy white clothes. As good as your intentions are…. it won’t stay white. Just skip it. (This birthday lesson has saved me money 🙂 )
- Freckles, stretch marks, fat, loose skin, cellulite, and every other body thing is fucking awesome. Love yours.
What is the most important lesson you’ve learned in the last year? What do you think of these that I’ve shared?
Love Always, Enn